Wednesday, June 22, 2011

JJ Barea Day

A week ago was President Obama. Today was Dallas Maverick point guard and NBA Champion, JJ Barea. Puerto Rico received its new sports hero with a parade from the Int'l Airport to Old San Juan. Upon his arrival, the Governor of Puerto Rico, my boss, presented Barea with the US and PR flags that waved over the Governor's Mansion the day the Dallas Mavs won the NBA Finals.

Since my last post, I ran an easy 3-miler last Thursday and a 6-mile loop from Escambrón beach to Old San Juan and back. And then my right knee started acting up. Ugh!!! I was a little gimpy on Father's Day and the following days with a swollen knee. It felt weak and unstable. I was operated on that knee 10 years ago due to a torn meniscus. I decided to shut down training for a couple of days. Went to see a physiatrist friend who examined the knee but thankfully didn't find any problems. He recommended icing the knee following long workouts, and doing cross training and strengthening exercises, which I have recently started. Hopefully this setback won't become a bigger hassle in coming weeks. I will reclaim my training tomorrow morning with a 3-mile run. A long run of 15 miles awaits on Saturday morning...along with a bag of ice for the knee (for sure).

1 comment: