Saturday, July 2, 2011

Why Ask Why?


Before the question reminds you of a failed beer project from the early 90's, let's move on to more productive subjects.

It's a mere coincidence that Lance Armstrong might be preparing to run the Chicago Marathon this fall. That's him pictured above in a recent running magazine while training in Hawaii.

I remember first hearing about Lance Armstrong when he was a brash, young rider, but I really didn’t follow cycling nor him. I was starting college at the time in Atlanta. For whatever reason, I clearly remember him announcing his cancer diagnosis in October 1996 (just months after the Atlanta Olympic Games) and how he vowed to fight it. And my next vivid memory of him was his incredible breakthrough at the 1999 Tour de France. I was in Tucson at the time doing graduate school. I remember being impressed by what he had accomplished, how he had done it and what he had gone through to get there. Since then, I followed the rest of his career, mainly during the summer months for “le Tour”, the crowning achievement of the sport. He won 7 straight TDFs, retired, pulled a Jordan and came back "in order to raise awareness of the global cancer burden". Along the way he did some amazing things and had to put up with many doubters (and still does).

But the one thing no one can question is his resolve to beat cancer. He did it, but now he wants to eradicate it. And in the process, he wants to help people deal with it. It’s as simple as that. That’s why the Lance Armstrong Foundation exists. He recently said in an interview that his goal is to run LIVESTRONG out of business.

So the question is…really two questions: why have I decided to run a marathon and why did I select to run for Team LIVESTRONG and raise money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The answer to the second one is evident.

The first one, not so. Call it what you will…early adulthood crisis, unfinished business, curiosity as to what my mind and body can tolerate, friendly challenges…the reasons are several.

Thankfully, I have not been directly affected by cancer, but I've seen close friends having to deal with the disease and, unfortunately in some cases, losing a loved one in the process. But by doing this, I somehow think I can contribute to their healing process and support an organization that serves as a valuable resource to cancer patients and their families, worldwide.

If you wish to support my efforts, I invite you to make a donation in my name to the Lance Armstrong Foundation at the following link.


My goal is to raise $990 (9x10x11...the date of the race). The Chicago Marathon LIVESTRONG Team has already raised over $70,000. I'm confident that with your help my goal will be reached. 

No comments:

Post a Comment